Skip to content

This Is Northern New South Wales

Kobe and the Sea

A couple months ago I had the wonderful privilege of meeting Ben Shewry. He is a worldly acclaimed Chef who runs Attica Restaurant in Melbourne, with Attica recently being voted “Restaurant of the Year” in The Age Good Food Guide.

But, none of these accolades were noticeable when Ben invited me to Victoria to make a short film with him. A very modest and humble family man, we spoke of surfing, our past and the general questions in getting to know one another. Being invited to stay at his home in Ocean Grove was a real treat, and a new found friend had been found.

We drove off one morning to a remote location to film what was to become “Kobe and the Sea”, a very personal tale about Ben and his 7 year old son Kobe, as Ben educates him on the importance of being in nature, whilst passing subtle comment on the serious over-fishing of Abalone in Australian waters. It was a wild experience, very raw and beautiful.

On return home, I got to know more about this other side of Ben, the restaurateur side. He soon invited me to dine at Attica. I was a little overwhelmed at first, seeing this over side, but after a multiple array of wonder entering my palate, I was in food heaven. The fact that Ben hung up the Chef’s attire after course 3 (there are 10 courses) and joined me for the experience made it all the more enjoyable and sweeter.

Personally, I’m very proud of the outcome of such a wonderful experience and very thankful to have had the chance to make something so beautiful with Ben. We both hope you enjoy this video.

All photos by Colin Page on a Nikon D3S.

Video shot on a Nikon D7000 with the 35mm/1.8 lens.