Skip to content

This Is Northern New South Wales

Flutters and Fashion…

Spelly and I are both Melbourne girls – so for us the Melbourne cup conjures up memories of public holidays, participating in sweeps (as many as possible), screaming your horses name at the top of your lungs at a bbq and knowing that the favourite NEVER wins (except when it’s Makybe Diva). It is a day when Melbourne literally stopped – dead in it’s tracks – to have a flutter.

So when the Italian at the Pacific asked us to be a part of their annual Melbourne Cup day fashion parade we thought it would be a wonderful way to celebrate the day.

Byron Bay based labels Spell, Goddess of Babylon, Buffalo Girl & Pooch and Samba dressed the gorgeous ladies who walked the catwalk. The lads were dressed by The End.

Now, I’ve been to my fair share of Race Day fashion parades and I can tell you, I’ve never seen as many feathers, leather, turquoise and flowey-flowey gypsy fabric as I did today! There were feather head pieces, a tall spirit stick with dream catchers hanging off it and Shayna wore a cowboy hat! It really was our own ‘Byron Bay’ take on traditional race-day-attire.

For the record – I didn’t win a cent. Spell won $4.

Words and Photos by Elizabeth Briedis of Spell.

Hair and make up – Aveda Overhaul
Fashion Parade organiser – Zoe Bosco
Make up – Jules.art
Buffalo Girl Models dressed by Island Luxe

Photos taken on a Nikon D7000 with the 35mm and 18-200mm lenses.